Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Social Media Survey Results

Last month, we invited some clients to participate in a social media survey. We asked which platforms they currently used and their experiences with them. Some of the received comments are shown below.

Of the people who responded, Facebook Fan pages were the most popular platform by far (78%). Blog usage was second with 48%, followed by Twitter at 30%. Only a couple of respondents reported using Merchant Circle and YouTube, and no one mentioned LinkedIn . Only three people reported using Facebook, Twitter, AND a blog. Although difficult to be exact, it would appear that only about 30% of the overall craft/gift/prim decor online community is using social media in any form, but this percentage appears to be rapidly growing.

Our synopsis of the survey:

Time seems to be a major factor limiting participation.

No one reports being able to retire years earlier from the additional sales being generated by social media presence.

Most people view social media as a requirement to stay competitive and to prosper in the near future. It's seen as a inexpensive way gain additional exposure over the long term. 

We thank everyone who replied to the survey. We have compiled a list active social media pages which can be found on our new Social Media Directory. It's a great way to see how others are using S.M. in their business - please give everyone a visit!
 
Social Media Comments

FB - I have gotten orders and a following. Email: I get orders. MC: Few orders. Not really productive MySpace: Waste of time Twitter: Waste of time

The one thing that people might want to keep in mind is a solid truth- OUTFLOW = INFLOW.  They may think that they are not getting business from these things but the simple act of outflowing will bring in inflow of some kind eventually :-)

We run adds on Facebook for all three sites. They are pretty effective we find. You can really fine tune who you want to display the ads to so you really tend to get people who want your product.

Just started using Facebook for our business. Not really sure How to promote it yet. Have had a few clicks through, so people are slowly finding us.

I do get sales every once in a while on Twitter - but you have to really go after followers. I like Facebook a lot. I like my blog but I just don't have time to keep it up. I think FB is the best - but I can't seem to get new people to follow me there.

As far as money returns from the Facebook page, I don't think I have seen any. The blog is still to new to make a difference.

I set up a blog about a year and a half ago. Time restraints have limited my posts, but I have enjoyed blogging and have gained a few new customers through the blog.

I don't have a facebook account, but a crafting friend of mine swears by hers. She says it has really helped her draw in customers.

I starting using Facebook almost a year ago. I have gained over 900 fans and had several people purchase things from me that otherwise would not have known I existed.

I haven't seen any increases in business due to using Facebook, but in all honesty, I probably don't work it like I should...with daily updates, contests, etc.

I have considered using social media but I'm aprehensive because I'm worried that I may get more orders than I can handle. My business is already doing very well and I just a little afraid that it might generate more business than I can handle.

Using Twitter gets me extra views, but not sure if any of my sales were a result of Twitter. But it's free, so I figure it can't hurt.

Seems that unless you advertise on FB, you don't get many people finding you. I adverstised last year based on how much I could afford at the time but had to stop. It was getting to expensive. I did receive about 25 people who joined my FB but no $$$ has yet come from it.

Blog & FB: I'm not sure if it's helped or not.

[Blog and FB] both are bringing me orders from customers. I simply find many times I can't find things to post about. I'm not too social network adept at times.

We have gotten a little business off Facebook, but mostly it's just a vehicle for letting people know where we are going to have our carnie trailer.

We have used facebook for about a year now ... It does seem to encourage "action" from our followers when we send out our giveaway or new project info. This does not provide any $$ to us though. We would like to have more people "like" our page to encourage visits and to help more people remember us throughout the months. Seems like a more welcomed way to "remind". Better than email newsletters now. I would like to know if the ads on facebook are a good value before trying it. I would also like to know what other social media I might want to add.

===================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.